What You Can Do To Help
You can contribute to conserving Kenya’s wildlife heritage, regardless of who you are or what you do. Here are some everyday things YOU can do….
- Understand the crisis and spread awareness amongst your friends, colleagues and family.
- Do not purchase any wildlife products (ivory, rhino horn etc), whether it is purportedly from legal sources or not.
- Do not purchase charcoal unless from known and sustainable sources.
- Petition our government to crackdown on the kingpins involved in trafficking and poaching.
- Provide information on wildlife crimes or known wildlife criminals in your area.
- Re-engage with your cultural roots and remember how conservation used to be.
- Support grassroots organizations. In-kind donations and volunteer services welcome.
- Do not drive off-road in protected areas. Do not hassle or crowd wildlife on a game drive.
- Do not litter – especially in protected areas.
KUAPO is always on the look out for people with the following skills:
Our needs are not limited to the following skills. If you are willing to offer your time and are passionate about saving Kenya’s wildlife please get in touch with us and we can find a suitable placement for you.
• Legal • Accounts • Marketing • Fundraising • Data entry & analysis • Researchers • Graphic design • Website builders • Creative’s of all types • Knowledge of GIS • Mechanic’s • Printers • Uniform suppliers
We can also gather in-kind donations to support several community ranger and grassroots conservation groups that we and our grassroots partners work with around Kenya.
New or functional second hand equipment would be welcomed! Most donations and skills can find a home so if you have something in mind and you don’t see it on our lists please discuss the item with us. Donors will be issued with a thank you letter acknowledging their donation as well as photos of the donation being received by the recipients (where possible).
- Sleeping mats
- Sleeping bags
- GPS units
- Used smart phones with gps & camera. (Data collection)
- 2 way radios – handheld & base.
- Military boots
- Uniform sets
- Re-useableWater bottles
- Wire cutters & Pliers (wire snare removal)
- Patrol vehicles
- Clipboards – for recording data in the field.
Ranger Rations & Ongoing:
- Canned fruits & vegies
- Cooking Oil
- Milk powder/ longlife milk
- General office supplies (paper, pens, ect)
- Thunder flash ( small firework that makes a loud bang. Used to heard elephants out of villages and prevent conflict )
- Chilli – fresh or powder (used to prevent elephants raiding farms)
- Used engine oil (mixed with chilli & used to prevent elephants raiding farms)